Thursday, August 9, 2012

Comprehension Continuum

Have you been frustrated with a student who is very literal?  "You said we'd be leaving in 2 minutes.  Well, it's been 3 and half."   Well, I've had a big AHA this summer with those special friends. My grade level and I attended a Reader's Workshop conference this week.  Although the rooms were over crowded with no air conditioning, we gained a lot! 

Our presenter proposed that there are several "pathways" to unlock meaning (comprehend).

*envisioning-how you are making a movie in your mind (aka visualizing)

*synthesis-the ability to put things together and have an idea

*interpretation-finding the big ideas

*critique-ability to push back into a text (aka evaluation)

*prediction-(the most over-taught)

*monitoring for meaning

Our presenter has had many debates with people about whether or not inference is one of the pathways or not.  Her opinion is that you have to be able to infer to use the other pathways.  So, inference is embedded into each of the pathways.

Inferential readers are those that use the pathways.  They read for meaning.  Literal students need more coaching to develop into an inferential reader.  Here's an easy way to assess all your students.

We were each given 4 post its to respond on as she read:


WOW!  What a great historical fiction story!!!   After key moments in the story (I don't have the book yet, so I can't note the exact pages) she asked us:

on post it 1, to jot about what we were picturing
on post it 2, to jot about a character
on post it 3, to jot about what's changed
on post it 4, to jot a lesson or message we might think about with this text

After each post it, we would share our responses with a partner. Then, she'd continue reading. After finishing the story, collect and sort the post its without the students present into 3 piles:  low, medium, high.

The low pile has your literal "on the page" responses.  The students did not add their own thinking to the post it.   ex.  I see a girl with a bracelet.

The medium pile has your "scene makers."  They are attempting to construct the scene "off the page."  ex.  I see a girl with tears in her eyes as she is wandering through her home."

The high pile has your "outside of the book" responses.  The students are your "theory makers" who look at the big picture.  They respond with connections they felt as a reader.  ex.  "I see a girl who is worried and uncertain about what has happened and what is going to happen."

So, now you should have a good idea where your students are! 

Now, how do you move them across the comprehension continuum?  Coach them into envisioning more:  What do you see?  What do you hear?   and ALWAYS add "and that makes me think...." after their response!  Or, "and that makes me wonder..."   Or, "so my theory is..."   The best place to model this is during Interactive Read Aloud or Shared Reading---probably my next post!  (I learned how to better "beef" those up for upper graders.)

Right now, I've got to go get ready for the final day of the Conference!

What has worked well with your literal readers and writers?  I'd love to know!  :)

28 comments:

Mrs. G said...

I like the "and that makes me think" part. Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica
Teach on a Limb

Megan @ I Teach. What's Your Super Power? said...

Great post! Would be a great way to create groups to work with!

Megan
I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

Julie Pieprzyk said...

I had a readers workshop training todaynd iwascso bored. It urge sounds like your presenter was better tnan mine. Thanks for sharing this post. I love the post it idea!!

http://jules416.blogspot.com

Julie

Tracey Schimke said...

Thanks for sharing this. It sounds great!
Tracey
Third Grade All Stars

rental mobil jakarta said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

nicolle esposito said...

I love this. I plan on using this with some of the stories we have in our series. Great job!!!

Teaching is Terrific

Anonymous said...

Make sure there is some space after your breakup and then give
a call. Keep the call short and sweet without giving too many
details about how you are doing and what you are up to.
This will keep them guessing and curious. Despite his childhood ethical revelation,
until his early adolescence, Paul continued to hunt for sport.

One day, when he was a freshman in high school, Paul and his friends were out shooting birds.

Paul hit one in the wing, and it fell to the ground on its back.
It was suffering, and Paul was able to connect to that suffering
in a way that was new to him. It was something of an
epiphany. He picked up a rock and smashed the injured bird, putting it out of its misery.
He never hunted again. http://www.marknadsplatsen.
se/index.php?do=/profile-62826/info/ File photo dated 28/02/1985 of Queen Elizabeth
II with proprietor Rupert Murdoch left at The Times newspaper building at Grays Inn Road, London, to mark the
paper's bicentenary. Bluefire plans a new cell phone security app
Look at my web page cell phone number lookup

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good results.
If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!



Also visit my webpage - http://symphonymetal.blogspot.com/
My website - makedat.com

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
I'm planning to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or
go for a paid option? There are so many choices out
there that I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Thanks!

Visit my web blog: data

Anonymous said...

So how exactly does one earn money from blogs?
So how exactly does one go about it or start it?


my web page; transvaginal Mesh compensation

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on
the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about,
why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your
site when you could be giving us something informative to read?


Also visit my web page - weightloss clinic

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I will be experiencing many of these issues
as well..

Feel free to surf to my web page - Cheap Dental Implants

Anonymous said...

What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this
I have found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads.
I am hoping to give a contribution & help other customers like its helped me.

Good job.

Feel free to surf to my page ... www.jena-im-wandel.de

Anonymous said...

whoah this blog is fantastic i really like reading your articles.

Keep up the great work! You know, many individuals are looking around for this information, you
can aid them greatly.

my web page ... wiki.nviasms.com

Anonymous said...

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.
nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that
you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably
come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this
hike.

Also visit my weblog pyha.ru

Anonymous said...

Another great post! Just wondering if anybody has any any links or screenshots of good Email Templates in practice?
It certainly is good to see templates, one other
thing see examples to benchmark as good communication. Would
be keen to see any links.

Stop by my blog post - email templates outlook 2010

Anonymous said...

I'd like to thank you for the efforts you've put in penning this website.
I'm hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal site now ;)

Review my web page; Cosmetic Dentist Glasgow :: www.cosmeticdentistglasgow.info ::

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?

There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

Feel free to surf to my web-site; bridal makeup

Anonymous said...

After looking at a number of the blog posts on your blog, I honestly like your technique of writing a blog.
I added it to my bookmark website list and will be
checking back soon. Take a look at my website as
well and let me know your opinion.

My site; email templates

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
And i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is great, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

my web-site - Email Design templates

Anonymous said...

Hey there this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to
manually code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

my webpage - izetta shipp

Anonymous said...

You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the article you write.
The arena hopes for even more passionate
writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe.

All the time follow your heart.

Look at my blog :: car sales ()

Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.

Feel free to visit my page - lose weight (terhorstnet.nl)

Mrs. Palmer said...

Your blog looks beautiful! I am a newbie! Just learning. I would love to figure out how to make my blog look so colorful and creative!!!!!! :)

Jasa seo said...

hmm i think, i still should learning comprehension continuum again :\

Mancing said...

Please visit my website.
Info

peluang usaha 2014 tanpa modal said...

I had a readers workshop training todaynd iwascso bored. It urge sounds like your presenter was better tnan mine. Thanks for sharing this post. I love the post it idea!

melbourne web developer said...

The best site layouts are very pleasing on the eyes, are easy to navigate and provide readers with all of the information that they need to know quickly and simply.


Airless Spray

Post a Comment